Uterine artery embolization (UAE) is a procedure to treat fibroids without surgery. Uterine fibroids are noncancerous (benign) tumors that develop in the uterus (womb).
During the procedure, the blood supply to the fibroids is cut off. This typically causes the fibroids to shrink.
What are the advantages of uterine artery embolization
- Can be performed under local anesthesia.
- A short period of recovery.
- Little blood loss or bleeding airwards.
- Avoids the side effects of hormone therapies that are sometimes
used to treat fibroids.
- Needs only a 0ny incision, making it less invasive than other treatments such as myomectomy (surgical removal of uterine fibroids) or hysterectomy (removal of the entire uterus).
- Nearly 90 percent of women treated with UAE for fibroids experience
partial or full relief of symptoms.