GAE is a non-surgical treatment alternative for patients with knee pain due to osteoarthritis who have failed conservative therapy, such as anti-inflammatory medications or knee injections, and who do not wish to undergo or are ineligible for knee replacement surgery.
The following conditions make for a good candidate for GAE:
- Age: 40-80 years
- Moderate to severe knee pain
- Osteoarthritis based on x-ray, but without bony deformity/sclerosis
- Local knee tenderness
- Resistant/failed conservative treatment (NSAIDS/PT/joint injection)
The following conditions may disqualify a patient as a candidate for GAE:
- Current or previous history of cigarette smoking
- Advanced arthritis based on x-ray
- Infection or malignancy
- Good candidate for knee replacement surgery
If you are interested in seeing if you are a candidate for GAE, please contact us at or call our clinic at 310-481-7545, option 2 to arrange an appointment with one of our IR physicians.